The Honours Psychology program at the University of Regina is competitive and the process leading up to making an application takes planning in advance. This is not something to be undertaken in the last month before the deadline. In the Faculty of Arts, the core requirements that need to be met before making an application to the honours program include:
- A minimum overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 70%
- A program GPA of 75% (this is also called the PGPA. This is your overall GPA in your major)
- A minimum of 65% in PSYC305 to be eligible to enrol in PSYC405 (required for an honours degree)
- Completion of a minimum of 60 credit hours
- All core Arts classes completed including: ENG 100, 6 credit hours in an additional language, a natural science lab, a course in Media, Arts and Performance, and one of each in the following:
- Numerical or Logical Reasoning: any MATH, STAT or CS (with the exception of CS100), PHIL 150, 352, 450, 452 460 or SOST 201
- Textual Studies: ENGL 110, RLST 245, 248, PHIL 100 or SOST 110
- Intercultural Difference: Any in ANTH, RLST, (with the exceptions of RLST 181, 184, 186, 188, 284, and 288), GEOG 100 or 120, INDG 232, 234, 238, 332, or 432
- Social and Cultural Heritage: Any in HIST, CATH 200, CLASS 100, or IDS 100, INDG 208, 210, 215, 216, 218, 219, 221, 228, 230 or INDL 241, 242, or any one of INDL 240AA-ZZ
- Social Science: This requirement is met by the major
- Indigenous Knowledge: One course from: Any course in INCA, INDG, INHS, any of ENGL 214, 310AA-ZZ, GEOG 344, HIST 310, JS 350, 351, KIN 105, LING 230, PSCI 338, SOC 214, or any other course approved by the Faculty of Arts as having substantial indigenous content.
The Honours application process includes:
- An assessment meeting with an academic advisor to definitively declare you will be eligible to enrol in Honours and to complete the ‘Honours Program Outline’ that is to be submitted by the advisor the fall semester before you intend to apply to the program
- A letter of intent, stating why you are a good fit for the program and outlining your future academic goals. Need advice on how to write one?
- Unofficial copies of all undergraduate transcripts
- The Honours application form filled out and submitted by February 1st of the year you intend to begin Honours (ie: If you are planning to begin Honours in Fall 2021, this needs to be completed by Februrary 2021).
Part of the application process is ranking your choice of potential supervisors. This should not be arbitrary or random. In theory you would list faculty members with whom you have had some conversation with or who have similar areas of interest in terms of research or experiments.
Volunteer experience working with a faculty member is an excellent way to make an application for honours more competitive.